Monday, March 18, 2013

Day 18

03/18/12 - Russel Field Shelter - 179.6 miles

Welcome to Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  Crossed over Fontana Dam in high spirits and into the park.  Then the bugs came.  So many gnats, flies, and little tiny grasshoppers.  EVERYWHERE.  Instead of snow, we got bugs.  Excited to be here though.  Tenting tonight.  Anna is scared.  I might be scared if I see a bear... but right now I'm not sure if they exist anymore.  We shall see.  Quote of the day was this morning when Anna greeted me outside my tent, "Well, hello Pinoccio!" Because the clothes I had on reminded her of Pinoccio.  But you can imagine what everybody else thought when they heard this.

***


 

2 comments:

  1. Ha. Pinocchio.
    I hope to see the Great Smokies some day. The other night I dreamt I stepped off a bus at an overlook and thought, "This must be the Smoky Mountains!" and I looked along the edge for I thought I might see the knob/cliff that you and Anna each posed on precariously... and that was far from the Smoky Mountains in real life, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a cool dream, sis. And you and Micah should definitely get over there some time... such a beautiful park! I think the knob you're thinking of is McAfee Knob in Virginia, but there is also an outcropping we posed on in the Smokies (both on our thru-hike and a previous trip)... that would be Charlie's Bunion. :)

      Delete