Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Note From The Present

For those of you who do not know, I will be working at Rocky Mountain National Park this summer.  I arrived to the park yesterday and moved into my house (which has neither internet nor cell reception).  I will be primarily stationed at the Wild Basin Entrance Station, one of the more remote and less visited areas of the park.

I'm already blown away by the beauty of this place.  The snow alone impresses this Georgian native, not to mention the mountains, lakes and abundant wildlife.  Seeing the variety of backpackers setting out for their treks makes me miss the Trail life.  But then again, I'm always thinking about the Trail life.

Due to the lack of internet, I will do my best to keep updating last year's AT journal.  I really wish to keep posting the entries.  If nothing else, so that I may have an online archive of the journey.  I appreciate you guys for following along, both during the trek and now afterwards.

Happy trails.

"Come to the woods, for here is rest. There is no repose like that of the green deep woods. Here grow the wallflower and the violet. The squirrel will come and sit upon your knee, the logcock will wake you in the morning. Sleep in forgetfulness of all ill. Of all the upness accessible to mortals, there is no upness comparable to the mountains." - John Muir

Seriously... there are elk everywhere.
 

3 comments:

  1. This is amazing!!! We just changed our plans for visiting our daughter and her husband in Laramie, Wyoming from going to Yellowstone to seeing Rocky Mountain National Park instead. Maybe we will see you?? What a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad and I can't wait to visit you!! Love you, Micah, and look forward to hearing all about your Rocky Mountain adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with this great summer job. Hope you have some time off to explore the park--it's so full of wild remote beauty. I lived in CO (Fort Collins) 1970-1980 and in those ten years two of my most memorable backpacking trips were in the most remote parts of RMNP. First was Comanche Peak dropping down to Mirror Lake (a big loop from Crown Point well north of the park -- got snow where I camped at 12,000 feet on the 4th of July)

    The other hike--my single most memorable hike of all time--was starting at Grand Lake, up East Inlet Trail then a long bushwhack up into Paradise Park (I believe that is now off limits to the public and probably was even back then), climbing up to Ten Lakes Park at timberline and then a long meandering hike through gentle terrain above timberline, finally dropping down to Fifth Lake and back down that valley to pick up the East Inlet Trail again and back to the parking lot.

    I've been enjoying the daily AT posts, hope you can keep it up, and hope you can post about your adventures this summer too :-)

    ReplyDelete