Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Almost to Arches

Tomorrow I will be arriving in Moab where I will begin getting situated at Arches National Park. Excitement and slight nervousness are running through my body - but mostly excitement. My brother and I left Georgia on Sunday morning and it's been a fun-filled and breathtaking couple of days traveling across our country.

We camped in Missouri on our first night and spent the next two nights in Colorado, where we were able to take in some sights exploring and hiking a bit.

Missouri was humid, and the nighttime noises of cicadas and other insects were almost deafening. I found it quite fascinating and was fortunate enough to fall right to sleep after I heard enough. I don't think Ben was as accepting of the ruckus.

Once we entered Colorado it began to get cooler, especially when the sun set. We intended to stargaze a little after the bright moon traveled its way across the sky, but once in our sleeping bags it was unthinkable to force ourselves out into the cold night wind (that is, for two Georgia boys under dressed in shorts and sandals). After giving in to a warm and comfortable sleep, I was fortunate enough to wake up during the middle of the night and briefly glanced up at the sky through the mesh roof of our tent; and there, during that brief moment, a bright meteor flashed across the dark sky.

I audibly said, "Whoa," then closed my eyes and fell back to sleep.

Hiking in Colorado at Eldorado Canyon State Park.

4 comments:

  1. What an amazing view behind you! I'm so glad to hear of the fun and success of your adventure so far. :) It's not really in proportion to the whole reason surrounding your trip, but your meteor moment excites me... maybe because I've seen meteors at precise life-steering moments myself. :) Godspeed on the last stretch of your goal to Arches. Love you so much, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! Fantastic! Love you, son. Continue to take it all in and don't forget to blog. I enjoy following your adventures and your dreams. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My last camping in Colorado was with a $10 plastic tent in 1976, late spring with some snow on the peaks behind you. Enjoy every minute of your adventure. Thanks for recording some of it for us to share in. Love, daddio

    ReplyDelete