Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Loud Silence



No BearCows to join me last night.  They were out there, but not sleeping on top of me like they were last time.  It was a very restful night for me, actually.

After a thunderstorm had passed, complete with plenty of rain and hail, I was able to build a fire from some damp wood and a candle.  The sun set quickly, and as I settled into my warm tent I listened to my fire fall asleep with soft crackles.

Eventually, silence.

I fell asleep quickly and only woke up a few times during the night.  When you're surrounded by such a deep silence, the slightest sound amplifies tenfold.

The creaking of a tree was the only sound to stir me out of slumber.  A brief pause in my sleep, not a disturbance.  The tree and the wind finished their duet and silence began to play again.

Loud silence until morning.

5 comments:

  1. Micah...

    Is it that you deliberately catch no other people on video or are these sites you choose to camp just that remote or sparingly used???

    Good video once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Wes*

    Uncle Wes, the only other people I've seen in those mountains are the ones I pass while driving on the road. No other hikers, no other campers. One of the reasons I like it up there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micah... I loved the video. It is so true that "silence" is so many things: golden, loud, pristine, maddening, intriguing... I appreciate your creative journal and look forward to the next installment. Love, hugs, and prayers coming your way from your Mom. Love you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you helped to inspire another post on pollution
    Keep on camping!
    http://beardochronicles.blogspot.com/2011/09/walk-outside-ii.html

    ReplyDelete