Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Survival

It's hot.

I don't know if it's actually the heat or just the constant and direct sunlight that's making me as lethargic as I am. The eight hour geology lesson may have also had something to do with it.

I'm drinking lots of water (you kinda have to in the desert) and eating lots of granola bars (thank you, Chris Benson).

So far, the desert is more appealing to me in early morning and late afternoon/evening. But no matter what time of day I'm out, I'm constantly being reminded of how so many plants and animals are able to survive in this harsh environment.

For example, the Utah Juniper tree can live for hundreds of years in the desert. Hundreds of years! It will make use of the water it receives by shooting its roots deep into the cracks of rocks and crevices, collecting water that sometimes gets trapped long after rainfall. When that isn't enough, the tree will decide to "cut off" one of its limbs by restricting water flow to that limb. That branch's water valve is closed off, but the tree as a whole continues living.

It's like if you decided to cut off your arm so that you could survive. The Aron Ralston tree.

Survival.

Looking out from Grand View Point in Canyonlands National Park.

3 comments:

  1. Yes Micah... the cooler mornings and early evenings are the times to do the exploring you love. Do let someone know where you are planning treks as to not be like the Utah Juniper or this Aaron guy you mention.

    Be safe. God Bless.

    Uncle Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I've just caught up reading on, like, 5 of your posts!)

    That photo reminds me of a giant dino footprint or a giant hand print. :) Fascinating facts about the Juniper trees. Hope you're surviving with ease and flying colors while you're out and about. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you, Micah. Prosper, flourish, explore and drink LOTS of H2O. Hugs, hugs, and love from your momma <3

    ReplyDelete