Thursday, August 25, 2011

The BearCow

Watch the video introduction before further reading...

[and crank up that volume]



This was actually my first time camping solo, and I'm so glad it finally happened. The La Sal Mountains are beautiful and provide a refreshing place to escape from the hot desert down below. But here's the lesson I learned on this solo trip:

Trust, and do not panic.

As you may have noticed in the video, I was accompanied by some sort of large animal throughout the night. For the first six hours of darkness I was kept awake by approaching sounds: branches snapping, heavy breathing, snorts, growls, rumbles, sneezes, footsteps and some other noises I can't even classify.

Earlier I had heard the cow. A large bull, to be more specific. I had never heard an animal, let alone a cow, make that sort of sound before. Very weird. Somewhat terrifying.

I knew it was the bull in the beginning. I saw him approaching and he was making typical bull moans and groans. I was just a little paranoid that he would get startled and maybe trample my little tent with me inside. I kept yelling and blowing my whistle (feeling like a lame little boy) to scare him off. Eventually (and by eventually, I mean several hours later) he sauntered off and I slept for about an hour.

Then I heard it.

The distinct sound I often work so hard to imitate in order to scare my friends.

Bear.

I sat up in my sleeping bag and strained my ears. Maybe it was just the lonely bull again, coming back for a midnight story from the boyscout he met earlier. I kept listening.

No moaning. No groaning. Just heavy breathing with a few snorts mixed in.

BEAR.

I began yelling. "GET OUTTA HERE! GO!" *whistle blow* "GO AWAY BEARRGH!"

My voice began to waiver, because this guy wasn't leaving.

I begin to pray (Why don't we do this at first? I'm often guilty of waiting until a desperate moment to call upon my Creator). I pray for the thing to go away. To leave me alone. Lord, give me peace. Keep me safe.

The heavy breathing continues, and it sounds closer than before. I can't see him but it sounds like he's moving towards the car.

Where the food is.

"GET OUT OF HERE BEAR!!"

I set off the panic alarm to my car.

Panic.

What am I doing? I can't even see what it is. I haven't even looked. I'm basically hiding in my tent, unwilling to see what is really out there.

My shaky hand grabs my light and begins to unzip my shelter. I peer out into the dark night and see nothing.

Nothing but stars. The sky is full of them. More stars than I have ever seen in my life.

Two stars are staring at me from the bushes.

Twinkling. Blinking. The head turns and lets out a long, deep sigh.

The bull.

Asleep in the bushes. Snoring. The poor guy is just trying to sleep, while I'm honking my horn, blowing my whistle and yelling for my life.

Relief pours over me, and I realize my lesson for the day.

Trust.

Why did I abandon the idea of my prayers being answered? I prayed for peace and for protection.

A snoring cow. Hm, looks pretty peaceful to me.

I feel like an idiot (and still do, kinda), but that doesn't matter because I look up at the sky again.

The most awesome sky I have ever seen.

Thank you, Lord. And thank you, BearCow for helping me learn that lesson.

You don't need to push that panic button.

8 comments:

  1. Holy bajolies, brother... that bull call gave me the most eebie-jeebies I've felt in a long time (kind of like an [haunted] ElkCow I heard in Oregon once).

    Heard from Anna last night (Wed.) that you'd be camping out alone. Felt a little nervous for you, but what can a faraway sister do in such times besides say a prayer and trust the Lord for your safety? 'Course, I started looking at your facebook photos and the blog update thinking, "Yeah, no sweat, he was fine out there..." until I kept on reading to realize God did indeed have His hand on you in a very aware-of-it kind of way.

    So there I was laughing, just thinking BearCow was the big bull in the woods... then giddy with terror (yet relief, since you obviously made it back to blog) as I watched and rewound the end of your video and continued reading your account. To be honest, at first I thought you were having us all on, just making your own bear noises to stage a dramatic camping scene.

    Speaking of scenes, I think you should turn your vlogs into a documentary. :)
    Ok, for the sake of me getting some sleep tonight and not rambling on further (what happens, I suppose, when I don't actually converse with you for a while...my bad!), I will conclude with wishes for a BearCow-less rest for you and much joy in your weekend. I'd say this is my favorite update of yours so far. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Micah... It was as if I was watching a short episode of Bear Grylls and his documented adventures of surviving in the wilds all alone. (Though... I think he has camera men with him on many of his TV shows I watch from time to time.)

    You were truly alone amongst sounds that gave you reason to be uneasy and I'm thankful that my nephew is wise and faithful enough to call upon his Savior and Protector in a time of need.

    God continue to bless you and keep you.

    Though... did you at least leave a "camping plan" with somebody as to your itinerary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad it wasn't actually a bear! sheesh...poor little bull trying to sleep. lol.

    prayers for continued safety and more adventures then you can count coming your way. :)

    love, chonkly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. to bad you could not have some silence...

    http://beardochronicles.blogspot.com/2011/08/walk-out-side.html

    Glad you are doing well! Keep the videos and posts coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bull, a bear...would you want to run across either one in the starlit night? I'm so glad you are safe Schmicah, and I'm also glad you enjoyed the experience and had a mini Sukkot lesson of relying on God alone for your protection & shelter. Love you lots! Daddio

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED the video!!! Did I ever tell you about my first night in the Canadian wilderness with your dad way back in June of 1980? I was so scared because I knew I heard a bear outside our tent. Turns out it was just your dad snoring.

    So...now you have "bearcow" to add to your vocab list of strange animals like the beloved sheepgoat.

    Love you, Micah. My motto of the day is: "Expect the unexpected, don't panic, trust in God, breathe deep, stay calm, and enjoy the adventure!"

    xo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Micah!! That was awesome. Pure awesome haha. Really enjoyed the video AND it was hilarious. I LOVED the clip of you screaming in your tent... too funny. Glad you're having fun, learning a lot, and taking care of yourself. You're truly experiencing the oppurtunity of a lifetime right now--be all there, live it up! Hugs-

    ReplyDelete