Saturday, July 27, 2013

Day 149

07/27/12 - Garfield Pond - 1,820.3 miles

Alright, so I was a little ticked off last night.  The day was actually great... just the last few hours were kinda frustrating.  Missed our work-for-stay by a literal 10 seconds.  Then the only soup they had was tomato PORK.  What?!  Then Anna's feet jumped in a stream.  Then the bear bag (or lack there of) from HELL!  But honestly, it was a good day.  Difficult and disappointing but good.  Today we started the Presidentials with Mt. Lincoln and played around on Franconia Ridge.  Wow!  Probably my favorite scenic part of our hike so far.  I couldn't stop taking photos/videos up there.  Also recited the Gettysburg Address from the summit of Mt. Lincoln.  We live in a beautiful country.  Met up with Dos and caught up a bit.  Really sad to hear that Rocky & Sunshine got off a few days ago at Great Barrington.  Gonna text them to see how they're doing.  Very sad if true.  We started with them at Springer Mountain.  Now the sun is setting over Garfield Pond where we are camped.  Dragonflies buzzing.  Frogs are squeaking.  Hoping for maybe a moose sighting.  Today was awesome.  Today was awe inspiring.

***

Something interesting happened while I was blogging this entry...

I didn't read ahead in my journal, but just began typing as I went.  I recounted the events of the "sucky" day and how the last few hours everything seemed to be going badly.  I remembered that it was frustrating, but it honestly was still a good day.

I continued typing the entry, reading about how we started the Presidential Range and the awesomeness of Franconia Ridge.  What a magical section of Trail. 

I continued typing.  Transcribing. 

We had met up with our friend, Dos, and she told us that Rocky and Sunshine got off Trail.  I stopped typing.

Tears in my eyes.

I suddenly felt the same emotion from that original moment.  As if I was hearing the news for the first time.  A full year later, completely removed from the situation.  I started thinking about how we last saw them in Harpers Ferry, WV, and how great it was to run into them again after so long.  That was the last time we would see them, because they did get off Trail a few days earlier.

The journey is never over, though.

I truly hope they are both able to get back on Trail when the time is right and make their way towards that weathered Katahdin sign.







Garfield Pond

1 comment: