Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Day 54

04/23/12 - Jenny Knob Shelter - 599 miles

SNOW!  Trail magic breakfast by super nice church people (A.T.O.M.) in their warm basement.  Then hiked in a winter wonderland.  My knee is feeling completely fine.  Are there any coincidences with God in the equation?  Coldest day yet.  Longest day yet.  19 miles after 11am.

***

Hands down, one of the most unbelievable and perfectly timed Trail Magic experiences.

As I mentioned in yesterday's entry, we were planning on hitting at least 20 miles for the day.  First 10 were great.  Then out of nowhere, unprovoked and unexpected, I experience excruciating pain in my knee.  Causing us to greatly slow our pace and eventually cut our mileage short, stopping at a roadside campsite.  I go to bed sad and disappointed.

Then came the morning.

A thick, wet snow is falling to the earth.  We begin to meander out of our tents, dreading the cold and difficult climb just ahead of us.  My hands are absolutely freezing from putting away my tent and frozen poles.  Anna's hands even colder since she selflessly volunteered to fill up our water for the morning... dipping her hands into the frigid mountain stream.

Then a man appears out of nowhere, standing in the snow... staring at us.  He has no pack.  No gloves.  Snow is falling upon him, and he literally just appeared out of the bowels of winter.

My first thought: Oh god, murder.

"You guys want a warm breakfast?"

 My second thought:  "Um... YES!"

I look to Anna for her thoughts, and she smiles and nods her head.  At this point the snow that has fallen on us is melting and turning into globs of ice cold water.  Whatever he means by "warm breakfast"... it sounds amazing.

The gentleman smiles and says he's from the church a few miles down the road.  "You guys would be crazy to turn this down.  Well... you guys are crazy anyways.  Hiking around in this kinda weather."

He drives us to the church a few miles down the road, and waiting for us in their warm, HEATED church basement is an army of friendly faces and the pastor playing his guitar.  They have prepared pancakes, biscuits, pudding, coffee, orange juice, fresh fruit and vegetables and every essential hiker granola bar and snack.

After talking with all of them while they served us our breakfast, they took our pictures to add to their scrapbook.  They have been serving thru-hikers for over ten years thanks to Pastor Alan Ashworth and his Appalachian Trail Outreach Ministry (ATOM).  Anna and I were the only hikers that morning for a while until a few others showed up from the snow.  We enjoyed browsing through their hiker scrapbook while the pastor played his guitar.  They even gave us greeting cards to send back home to friends and family and offered to mail them for us.  I remember beginning to cry as I wrote in my card... trying to explain the kindness I was experiencing from these loving people.

The reason I go into some detail with this part of our journey is because I truly do not think we would have been able to experience this had my leg not been hurting the day before.  We would have put in our 20 miles and camped beyond the road where the gentleman found us.  There was absolutely no reason why my knee should have been hurting that day.  We didn't do anything out of the ordinary nor did we experience any truly difficult terrain.  My knee just randomly began to kill me.

I have to believe everything happens for a reason.

That day was the coldest day we had on the trail... the only day we had snow on the ground.  And yet, it was also the warmest I had ever felt on the Trail.



Here is a brief article on Pastor Ashworth and his outreach to the AT.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing your journal and your thoughts about what you experienced on April 22 and 23, 2012. I love to hear stories about Romans 8:28... The tough part is going through the "things" and having the trust and faith in Ha Shem that He is working it all out for good. I remember a year ago when you were sharing this story and at first I was alarmed when you said that you and Anna had gotten into a complete stranger's van and rode away to who knows where. In this day and age, mothers worry about scenarios like that, but then... I have to be reminded how we were all praying for you and your safety while hiking the AT. I love this story, Micah. Everything about your journey makes me laugh and makes me cry. God bless the pastor and his congregation for making a difference for you and Anna and countless others. I saved the card that you mailed to dad and I that snowy day in 2012...Do you remember what you ate that morning? 2 cups of coffee, 8 cups of OJ, 2 pancakes, a biscuit, an omelet, a bowl of grits, baby carrots and a banana! Then you wrote: "They are sending us off with snacks and encouragement and FULL bellies....and...it feels wonderful. I am so thankful for kind people and God's provisions. It makes the difficult times less difficult. Right now, Anna and I are the only hikers here and we are definitely getting spoiled. Just wanted to share with you about this particular "magic" and say, 'I love you!' Miss you all so very much." .....God is so good and I am so thankful to Him for blessing you and Anna with His loving kindness through people like Pastor Ashworth and his ATOM organization. Thank you, Micah, for sharing this experience with us. Love you, too! xo MamaBear (aka Mom) P.S. Continue to trust in the Lord and draw wisdom from Him and experiences like this. The difficult times will come and go but there will always be God's joy to give you the strength needed to continue to take each step forward. He is your provider and yes... He also uses some pretty incredible people to bless us in ways that we could have never imagined.... Even in the middle of nowhere where it is cold and lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true - God is always in control, though we often don't feel that way or understand why certain things happen, time always has a way of revealing his true purpose, which we know is ultimately for our good. Thanks for sharing this experience to remind us again of that truth. Micah, have you had a chance to follow Shutterbug and North Star (Wandering the Wild) as they hike the Appalachian Trail this year????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Micah, for this post. I reread the note Anna was writing in this video. She described the wonder of going down to the stream you describe to get the water - and finding someone had written Psalm 19 under the bridge - a reminder that the heavens declare the glory of HaShem, the sky proclaims His handiwork. David concludes that psalm by asking of Adonai, "May the words of my mouth and the prayer of my heart be acceptable to You, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer" (JPS). This post was such a gift to Anna's abba on his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh... lovely, heart-warming. Soul warming! I wish blogs had a "Like" button.

    ReplyDelete