Thursday, August 1, 2013

Day 154

08/01/12 - [Gorham] - 1,864.8 miles

August first.  Our five monthiversary on the Trail.  Today we woke up and both felt a bit of "hiker hangover."  15 miles over the Presidentials will do that to you, I guess.  We made it the 6 or so miles into Pinkham Notch.  Then decided to call our town day early and head into Gorham this afternoon instead of tomorrow night.  Less miles, but in the end I think a wise decision.  Five months feels like five years to me.  Springer Mountain was so long ago and so far ago.  And now we are in August.  The month in which we will be climbing Mount Katahdin.  What?!  We have been watching some of the London Olympics these past two town stays, and seeing the athletes' pride and accomplishment and struggle and victory... I wonder if we will experience a similar emotion on our medal stand.  On Mount Katahdin.

***

So much good.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I just got all teary-eyed reading this entry. Little did I know that you had written down these thoughts and yet....when you and Anna came down the mountain...Dad and I had American flags and "Gold Medals" for you both!! I also loved the photos of you on the Mt. Katahdin medal stand!! You are a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winner winner McDonald's dinner.

    (In the voice of the Most Interesting Man in the World)
    You probably shouldn't eat McDonald's, but if you do, it'll be after hiking at least 21 miles.

    ReplyDelete