Thursday, March 15, 2012

Trail Magic

We are only two weeks in with about 140 miles under our boots, but already I have been blown away by people's hearts.

"Trail magic."

The past four days have been unbelievable in my eyes.

It started when KitFox and I were hiking on towards a shelter near the end of a long day, when I noticed something hanging from the trees up ahead.
"Why on earth is there a giant Tupperware bin dangling from that branch?" I thought to myself.
We got closer and saw a note pinned to the tree. Gingersnap, a 2011 thru-hiker, left a note of encouragement and explanation for current thru-hikers. The note basically explained how Gingersnap would not have made it to Maine without the generosity of strangers on the trail and was now returning the favor. KitFox and I smiled at each other in awe and began to lower the bin via the pulley system Gingersnap had set up. Like opening a present on Christmas or Hanukkah, we peeked inside and found bags of homemade cookies! Are you kidding me?! There was also a journal for us to sign, and as we read over previous entries from other hikers, we realized the impact something like that can have on someone. Some hikers wrote that they were moved to tears before even opening the box. Others said it was just the boost they needed after a long and difficult day to keep them going. For us, it was definitely an uplifting of spirits to be suddenly eating delicious cookies while also seeing the good it had done to our fellow hikers. I was touched.

The next morning we were off again with more miles ahead of us. We ate our breakfast of Poptarts and coffee and were in pretty good spirits, still in astonishment by the unexpected cookies dangling from the trees. About an hour into our hike, a young lady approached us.
"Are you guys thru-hikers?" she asked.
"Yeah, we're trying." we said.
"Well, are you hungry?"
To which I paused then replied, "Always."
She then pulled out an entire bag of McDonalds breakfast items and explained how hikers always crave McDonalds. Her name was Socks, and she was also a 2011 thru-hiker, out on the trail to try and spread the magic she had experienced the previous year. We graciously accepted her offer and took some hashbrowns and egg & cheese biscuits and talked with her while we ate our second breakfast. We told her there were a few more guys behind us who would probably love the leftover sausage biscuits, and she set off to find them. Again, it was completely unexpected kindness and encouragement from a complete stranger, but I felt connected to her and to a larger community.

These are people who truly want us to succeed, but not only that, they want to return the favors given to them. KitFox and I agreed... not a bad system, really. Imagine if everyone performed random acts of kindness in the "real world."

Then the rain came.

And more miles.

After Socks and the McDonalds breakfast we experienced quite a difficult day. I was tired and frustrated with the unexpected uphills and KitFox wasn't feeling too well, but we both marched onwards. We finally reached camp and pitched our tents in the pouring rain. My hands were so cold it took me about twenty minutes to successfully strike a match. Night came and closed out a strenuous afternoon of some arduous hiking.

But a new day is always a new start.

We packed up our gear and set off for our longest day yet. Sixteen miles was our goal. We actually made pretty good time even though I asked KitFox for lots of breaks to catch my breath (she is so much faster than I am!). At about the 10 mile mark was Wesser Bald. Over 5,000 feet elevation and a steep way to the top, we arrived hungry and worn out. My hands were blistering and irritated from the sun, but at least it was a gorgeous afternoon and we had a beautiful scenic view for lunch. Not five minutes into our little meals until we hear voices coming up the mountain. We had recently been leap frogging a group of younger hikers (Tarzan, Renaissance Man and Fancy Pants), and I figured it was them coming to pass us again. A group of about ten young guys come barreling up the mountain and almost all of them give a friendly wave as they pass by. None of them have packs. One guy immediately came up and asked if we're thru-hikers. Conversation began and he plopped down next to us as we continued eating our lunch. Turned out they were a large youth group from Snowbird, a Christian camp, on a day hike up the mountain. As we continued talking, more of them began to show up and soon we had a little gathering around us as we ate and talked about our trail names and life on the trail, etc.
Then the first guy says, "Oh! You should meet Stride. She thru-hiked in '08 and would love to talk with you guys!"
Sure enough, Stride showed up with another group and joined in on the conversation. It was wonderful to talk with these young people as we ate. Good, genuine, friendly people (and who actually had some mutual friends from my high school back in Woodstock) who were all very encouraging. If that wasn't enough, as Stride told us about her thru-hike and gave us good advice, they dropped a food bag at our feet and told us to take whatever we wanted.
"Sweet! Lucky Charms!" I exclaimed while almost simultaneously devouring them.
We talked for a nice bit and then parted ways. It was uplifting and again, unexpected.

Trail magic three days in a row?! I couldn't believe it.

But folks, let me tell you about another kind of trail magic. The kind that that just tugs at your heart strings from the people who are constantly praying for you night and day. People that loved and supported you long before you thought about stepping foot on the Trail.

Trail magic from your family.

It may seem like an obvious thing to state, but I don't think I can ever truly express how thankful I am for my family and for Anna's family. They have all been so supportive of our journey, and with only two weeks in have done so much for us.

Today I experienced every luxury a hiker could think of, brought to you by Dr. Bruce and Glenda Tucker. It is seriously difficult for me to think of words to express my gratitude to them for taking care of us today and making us feel like a king and queen. Shuttles, snacks, laundry, hotel, resupply, lunch, more snacks, dinner, ice cream and so much more! Not to mention just the fellowship, fun and joy of being around people you love.

I think the Trail is teaching me to be more appreciative of people. I know my family is always there for me and Anna's family is always there, too, but how am I returning the favor? How can I spread the "trail magic" on and off the Trail?

Two weeks in and about 140 miles walked.

I want to thank every person who has been so supportive and encouraging to us. It has already gotten us so far, and I appreciate every prayer and thought that has been sent our way. Our Father has been with us every step, protecting us and guiding us and listening to your prayers. I am inspired by you and your loving hearts. Whether you realize it or not, your actions are a Light to the world, and it's a light that should be contagious among us. So thank you everyone. And thank you especially to Gingersnap, Socks, Stride and my amazing family: Mom, Dad, Ben, Sarah, Yiskah, Bruce, Glenda and Anna.

Your trail magic inspires me to be a better person.

PHOTO: KitFox and Gingersnap's cookie bin.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, Micah and Anna! YOU inspire us! I believe most people want to be part of something important greater than themselves. Your hike on the AT is a great challenge far beyond anything I have tackled--except for raising a family! We are very proud of you and look forward to seeing you again soon ... Chinese next time! Y'varechacha Adonai...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, isn't that amazing? :) I'm so happy to hear of so many blessings you guys have gotten along the way, especially with the hardships that come along on their own, too. Always be wary of the bad magic out there, though, too (Harry Potter? Narnia?). I know both you and KitFox have godly discernment for that stuff... just a sisterly token of watchfulness, not to detract from the awesomeness that is random kindness on the trail. Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Micah & Anna, I'm enjoying reading about this trail magic in the books & blogs I'm presently reading! It's amazing how many former thru-hikers come back for this expressed purpose along with believers who live along the trail. Such a beautiful thing, strangers giving something that is needed at just the right moment. It was such a joy to be with you two. You inspire me in so many different ways - your perseverance, your tenacity to push through the pain and obstacles, your love for the beauty of the creation and for the Creator, and your love and support for each other. I love you both beyond the expression of words, and I send the strength of that love for every step you two take.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Micah... you know me... I'm crying now after reading your blog "Trail Magic." Thanks for sharing the magic. You are in my prayers and always in my heart. The photo that Glenda took of you and Anna at NOC really makes me happy. The smile on Anna's face radiates the joy of your journey. I know that it is difficult but I also know that it is worth it!!! On a small scale, your brother Ben once told me "Mom... we can walk it and you will feel so good when we get there!" He was right. I wanted to take a taxi on that cold, rainy night in Jerusalem. I was exhausted and I just wanted to get back to Tel Aviv as soon as possible...the easiest route possible. It's amazing how GREAT I felt after taking Ben's advice. Of course this pales in comparison to your daily challenges on the AT but in some small way I can actually imagine how you feel after a long, difficult day. May the Lord continue to strengthen you...may His face shine upon you and give you peace...may the LORD continue to bless you through his trail angels. Love you! Miss you!! Love you forever.... MOM. (P.S. I also pray for the Ruach's discernment... follow His lead.)

    ReplyDelete