Monday, March 26, 2012

My Dad, Snapshot

I have an amazing father.

We timed it so that we would be able to meet up with him near the Standing Bear hostel just after crossing out of the Smokies. Not having any cell phone reception, I wasn't exactly sure on when we'd see him, but I knew he would be hiking towards us from Standing Bear. KitFox and I crossed over the park boundary, and after about another two miles we came across a hiker sound asleep against a rock. My dad! So naturally, I quietly crept up beside him and did my best bear impression I could.

We laughed and hugged and took the first of many photos that would be snapped over the next few days. At Standing Bear we got some more food and headed off into the woods once again.

Our final destination was to be Max Patch Bald where my dad parked his car. It's about a twelve mile section of trail we were going to break up over about two days.

We left Standing Bear and started to climb (my dad's first section of the AT since 1978, when he hiked a section in Georgia in the snow when he should have been recovering from a hernia operation. That's another story). Up, up, up we continued to climb. KitFox almost stepped on a snake. As we watched it slither off it began to rain. Still further up we climbed, now in a cold rain. Now in mud.

An excellent hike to begin with if you haven't been hiking the AT for a month already. Cold. Wet. Slippery. Giant snakes. And all uphill. Sorry, dad!

But he was a trooper, and I know he was loving it despite the difficulty. We made it to a scenic little campsite and called it a day after 1.8 miles from Standing Bear.

The next morning it rained some more. We had more uphills and a couple downhills. Welcome to the Appalachian Trail. I saw my dad's blisters. Not good. But he kept pressing on and we made it to our next campsite. About an 8 mile day.

Now we just had to get to the car before anyone died. It was another three miles or so. All uphill. What have I done to my poor father? He's in great shape, but these are some serious climbs. Thousand feet inclines over only a couple mile stretches. Again, not an easy hike to "ease" into.

But he did it. And we did it. We made it to his car at Max Patch. One step at a time.

I know my dad doesn't mind me sharing this story (and a little bit of his misery) because I can relate. Even though KitFox and I are in better shape now than when we started at Springer Mountain, we still have days where the Trail is simply knocking us off our feet (sometimes literally) and punching us in the face (ok, not so literal). It's not easy, no matter who you are! The important thing is to press on and keep on, one step at a time.

For my dad this time it was the car. For KitFox and I, it's Katahdin. What is it for you?

Sometimes life will punch you in the face and make you unable to breathe. What causes you to dig your hiking stick into the mud and continue climbing?

5 comments:

  1. That's an important question, ManCub... and while I know my answer - in part - it still gives me pause this morning for reflection, reconnoitering, and regrouping. I'm glad your dad (Snapshot?)was able to join you guys on the trail for awhile, and I'm glad he was able to press on through the inclines, snakes, mud, and blisters! You and KitFox (& now Snapshot, too!) inspire us to press on and continue the climb. Hazak, hazak, v'nit'chazek! Love you guys so much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, ben Shlomo: "What causes you to dig your hiking stick into the mud and continue climbing?"

    For me, "something greater" -- and sometimes I cannot define it. I can only take the next step. And that is why your comments inspire me today!

    You inspire me to take the next steps.

    I have great confidence in your abilities, Micah. I am confident that you will take the next step even when you do not know what is beyond that next step.

    And I am also confident in your skills on the trail. You make good decisions. You look over the landscape. And you take the next step.

    You have a good father who taught you that. You honor him with your blog. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ManCub ben Snapshot :) Great tribute to your amazing dad! He told me that the hike uphill with his cumbersome, overloaded pack was TORTUROUS!! Challenging and difficult as it may have been, he is ready to do it again in May!! He is definitely in his element when he takes a walk outside...especially if that walk is in the wilderness. I look forward to seeing more photos and hearing more tales of the adventure. I hope I can join you and KitFox next time. The thought makes me a little nervous but also very excited. I love what you and KitFox are doing!!! One step at a time...all the way to Mt. Katahdin! Love and shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all so amazing...I'm proud to call you relatives/friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great read Mancub. One of my favorite memories is a backpacking trip I recently took my Dad and Father-in-law on in Wyoming. There is nothing better than spending time with such wise men. I know this meant a ton to your Dad as well to be able to spend the time with you guys on the AT. Thanks for sharing.

    On a side note, we need to get your dad carrying a smaller camera and thicker sleeping pad. :)

    Garrett

    ReplyDelete