Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"The Mountains Are Calling"

"...and I must go."
-John Muir

The desert is beginning to cool down a little.  Instead of highs in the upper 90s and 100s, it's been in the mid 80s.  A nice change, actually.

But I still crave the mountains.

The cool, refreshing mountain air.  Lush greenery.  Cold mountain streams.  Aspen trees!  This is what I especially enjoy.

I decided to check out Grand Mesa National Forest, about a three hour drive from Moab into Colorado (recommended by Miss Anna Tucker).

I hiked the 10.3 mile Crag Crest trail along the summit of the mountain forest.  About five hours and breathtaking at every turn.  The aspen leaves are beginning to turn from green to bright yellow for Fall, and the clear mountain lakes reflect a bright blue mirror image of the surrounding trees.

The desert is great and glorious in its own right, but the mountains are bliss.



Note:  I also had the added bonus of editing this video in a Chick-fil-a in Grand Junction.  However, I must have been so enthralled with my Georgia lunch that I forgot to add a quotation mark in the end of my video.  A small, yet disturbing grammatical mistake that is not worth correcting.  Many apologies to my grammar OCD friends (and sister).

5 comments:

  1. Very nice vid once again. Looks like good footwear and good footing is essential for the trails you take on.

    A "Chick-fil-a" lunch??? I've heard of such places over the years but have never been. With a quick "google" search it appears where I live is one of less than a dozen it looked like, American States that has no such eatery within it's borders. I assume it is a loss for us Oregonians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^ Uncle Wes, we must transport some Chick-fil-a cuisine to you so that you may partake of its goodness. But alas, now I am aware of one awesome thing that Oregon lacks (and such things are few and far between).

    Brother! All is forgiven for a small quotation marks mistake, though I appreciate the apology shout-out all the same. :) How about that John Muir? I'm sure he'd feel blessed if he could've glimpsed the future with young adventurers like you displaying genuine appreciation for nature. I'm happy to hear you got a dose of mountain air and forest.

    And now, a dose of (just kidding, not a "dose of")-- a surprise gift of time spent with Anna in Moab once again. :) Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes needs to come to Georgia for a visit...right now!!! We will introduce him to Chick-fil-a :)

    The music and video are beautiful. Looks like a hike that your dad and I would enjoy.

    Happy 2 year anniversary to you and Anna (your inspiration for many great things!!)..

    Love and God bless and....keep the video on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you could consider this a bit of "fan mail."

    Hopefully this doesn't seem stalker-ish since I haven't seen you in so long (hopefully you remember me, for that matter, so that it's not entirely weird), but I've been reading your blog and watching your videos, and wanted to let you know that I find them to be inspiring.

    They remind me of how much I want to travel and get outdoors on a more regular basis. And the videos, specifically, remind me of how I've been wanting to get into making videos more lately (I'm a photography student - all about the stills - but lately I've been gaining interest in doing videos, as well). I like the style of how you shoot and edit things - just seems natural and relaxed.

    Anyway...that's all.

    Blessings,
    Miranda Dodd

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Miranda Of course I remember you! Haha, your family is a big part of my childhood, and I'm flattered that you find the blog inspiring.

    You should definitely pursue what makes you happy and be creative along the way. I've seen some of your photos, and I'm sure your skill of video is just as great.

    Thanks for the encouragement, Miranda! Best of luck with your next steps.

    ReplyDelete