Here are the rules:
1. Link the Person who “tagged” you.
2. Answer the 11 questions that the person has asked you.
Yeah... I'm lazy. But I will at least answer the questions Hiking Forward posed for his nominees. I'm honored to have been thought of!
1. What do you consider your first outdoor experience?
I can't really pinpoint a first experience, but I credit my love for the outdoors to my parents. Summer vacations with my mom's side of the family on the Oregon coast, and my dad, especially, would take us hiking and camping in our local Georgia State Parks growing up. I may not have always appreciated the "long" 1-mile hikes we would take, but I believe those outings in Georgia and Oregon ingrained a passion for Nature within my soul.
2. When out on a multi-day excursion, what is the one thing you dream about doing or having when returning home?
Chinese food and Diet Dr. Pepper. Always.
3. What long trail do you want to complete or complete again and why?
Next on my list is probably the PCT, though I also want to finish my SOBO trek of the AT so that I can have both directions under my belt. Long distance hiking can be incredibly addictive.
4. Trailname? And how did you get it?
ManCub. I chose it a few months before my 2012 thru-hike because I didn't want to get stuck with something I didn't like. I wanted something "earthy-sounding" while also representing myself. I often (and by often, I mean always) am told I look younger than I am, so I think ManCub fits. I also love The Jungle Book... Mowgli was raised by mother effin' wolves.
5. What do you want to do when you retire?
As long as I'm doing what I love, I'll be happy.
6. Last outing, where, when, etc...?
Well, today I hiked up to Emerald Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park. My last "big" outing was hiking 1,000 miles on the Long Trail and Appalachian Trail over the winter. That was cold.
7. Favorite backpacking meal?
I still have not gotten sick of instant couscous. It's my go-to meal in the backcountry. Add some packaged chicken to the Mediterranean flavor couscous, and it's practically gourmet. Also, Snickers and Reese's.
8. Favorite memory on trail or camping?
I could give several for this one, but I'll keep it to one... Being on top of Mt. Madison in the White Mountains and watching the clouds crash over us at sunset. Honestly, thinking about that brings tears to my eyes.
9. Goal for the year?
Haha, again, I could list several, but one of mine for this year is to learn how to play my banjo.
10. Have you ever been tweeted to or RT'ed by a celebrity? Who?
Not really, but Nick Kroll favorited one of my tweets a few months ago.
11. Favorite National Park and why?
I'm kind of biased right now since I currently work at Rocky Mountain National Park, but besides RMNP... Great Smoky Mountains National Park holds a special place in my heart.
Again, thanks to @HikingForward for tagging me. This was fun! Happy hiking, everyone.
|Great Smoky Mountains National Park, 2010|