Thursday, November 14, 2013

That'll do, pig

Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall
Lend me your eyes I can change what you see
But your soul you must keep, totally free
Awake, my soul
- Mumford & Sons

Did some night hiking last night in order to get into town this morning. I'll tell you what... if you're prone to get scared easily, don't hike at night by yourself.

But if you're comfortable with being in the woods at night, it's incredible. Such a different trail at night than during the day. 


It's been great being back on the AT, seeing familiar sites and seeing people again. So far, I've met a total of four long distance hikers. The first, Walking Dragon, was a NOBO LT thru-hiker who I met in my first week on trail. After him, I didn't see any until a couple days ago. I met Frostbite, a SOBO who started in Monson, ME back in August. I also met a SOBO section hiker but didn't get his name. And earlier today, I met Kansas City and his pup, Charlie Dog.

Other than that, it's still been pretty solitary out here. I think there are a few SOBOs a week or so ahead of me, but most of them are flip-floppers (meaning they've already hiked a southern section, skipped up to Katahdin, and are now heading back south to where they left off).

I should be finished with the LT in another few days, and I plan on celebrating with a comfy Howard Johnson bed to sleep in (and probably a pint of Long Trail Ale).

It's been good. Challenging, but good.

I've been enjoying the solitude most of the time. The snow has been slow-going but gorgeous. And smoking my pipe while reading Moby Dick has been therapeutic and relaxing.

Time to leave Manchester Center and hit the Trail again for another stretch (that is, after stopping at the local Chinese restaurant)!

Cheers.


1 comment:

  1. Love the photos, Micah! Enjoy your celebration! Cheers and God bless you!!

    ReplyDelete