Wednesday, November 20, 2013

And now, back to Arthur

It always takes me by surprise
how dark it gets this time of year
And how apparent it all becomes
that you're not close, not even near

No matter how many times I tell myself
I have to be sincere
I have a hard time standing up
and facing those fears

But Frank put it best when he said
"You can't plan on the heart"
Those words keep me on my feet
when I think I might just fall apart

Now I miss you more than I can take
and I will surely break
And every morning that I wake
god, it's the same
There's nothing more to it,
I just get through it

- First Aid Kit

Vermont and the Long Trail are now behind me. 273 miles across the length of the state from Quebec to Massachusetts.

It feels good, but I'm pretty tired. I came into town to relax, resupply, and revel a bit in having finished the LT, but really... sometimes being in town is exhausting. There's always a lot that needs to be done before getting back on Trail, and typically the town is spread out enough to where you have to walk in order to get these things done. Often, you end up hiking around town several miles just to get a meal, drop by the post office, resupply, or do laundry. Part of the reason I'm kinda worn out while I type this is because I walked to a laundromat listed in my guidebook only to arrive and discover that it's no longer in business. One of those moments where you just stand there looking back and forth between the laundromat sign and the now vacant building.

My arm slumps down holding the bag of smelly hiker clothes. Perfect. 

But it's still been restful despite things like that happening. I ordered a pizza and picked up a couple beers to celebrate the end of the Long Trail. I watched TV, including an episode of Arthur, bringing back so many memories from my childhood. And dang, that show has the best theme song.

After my last update from Manchester Center, I grabbed a hot meal and realized I still needed to resupply before hitching a ride back to the trail. It was getting dark fast, so I found myself racing through the claustrophobic grocery store aisles, dodging other shoppers who showed absolutely no self-restraint in staring me down. 

As I'm packing my food outside the building, a nice lady walks up and starts asking me about the trail. She's really sweet, but all I can think is, "GIVE ME A RIDE PLEEEEEASE!"

Literally, as I'm thinking this and kind of starting to zone her out, a gentleman comes out of the store, walks right up to me and says, "You need a ride back to the trail?"

Haha! What?! "Yes! Actually, I would love a ride back to the trail. You sure you don't mind?"

"No, no, it's no problem. In fact, you're welcome to tent in our yard if you want. I'm getting ready to make some supper, too," he informs me. 

And just like that, Trail Magic. 

It always amazes me how kind people can be to hikers. The guy's name is Dan, and he is a friend of the Trail and the hiking community. I end up staying at his place, getting a hot shower, eating a delicious dinner with him and his girlfriend, and sleeping in a warm bed with their cat. I am blown away by their hospitality and kindness.

From Manchester to the border, the weather is still chilly but warmer than it has been. I'm actually able to hike a few days without having to wear my two jackets and gloves. It takes me a few days (and just enough food rations) to arrive in The Bay State.

I remember how exciting it was for KitFox and I to arrive at that wooden sign, welcoming us into Vermont. 

Vermont. 

It sounded so NORTH to me. And now coming to that same sign over a year later, it meant I had traveled a significant distance SOUTH. And ever south I go.

4 comments:

  1. Beavers are the coolest animals ever...and otters, too. Loved all the photos and your blog. The video was so cool, too. Thanks for taking the time to post photos and videos and to blog, blog, blog away. Miss you, Micah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi there. last year i stumbled upon your 2012 thru-hike video and your 1-year-later blog posts, right before i started off SOBO. your writing and short films are so wonderful – thank you for sharing them. and, a coincidence!... i'm 'Sprout' in the 5th picture from the top on this post!! :) i have been reminiscing lately about the trail so i thought i'd come back to check up. wishing you well on the journey this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sprout! That's so awesome... Thanks for letting me know. I just loved your rendition of Mr. Mickey Mouse. All the best!

      Delete
    2. of course! :) the mickeymouse was actually turducken's artsy skills, i'll let him know. be well!

      Delete