Saturday, February 9, 2013

Panther Creek Falls

"and the sun, it does not cause us to grow
it is the rain that will strengthen your soul
and it will make you whole"

 - The Oh Hellos "I Have Made Mistakes"

I have been listening to their album, Through the Deep, Dark Valley, almost nonstop these past few days thanks to my sister's recommendation.  Good stuff.  Especially while driving to North Georgia on a misty Thursday morning.  I decided to make a short getaway to the Cohutta Wilderness in Georgia's Chattahoochee National Forest.

I needed to breathe that sweet mountain air.

I'm starting a new job this coming week, and though I'm very much excited about it and looking forward to having a steady schedule with free weekends... I wanted some time with the trees before diving in.

I had not been camping since the Trail.  The last time I was in a tent was in Baxter State Park, Maine, the night before climbing Mount Katahdin.  It had been too long, and my heart was racing as I prepared my gear.

Everything brought back fond memories of our time on the Appalachian Trail.

My packing routine.
The smell of my pack and rain jacket.
Lacing my boots.
The grip of my trekking poles.
The smoke of a campfire mixed with wet soil and leaves.
The pitter patter of rain against my tent.
Reading my Kindle while wearing four layers of warmth.
Bear bagging my food.
Wading across frigid water.
Purifying my water in a cold stream.
Even the pain in my legs and feet reminded me of the pain we felt on the Trail.

I hiked to a spot my father and brother and I frequently visit when camping in the Cohutta.  Panther Creek Falls.  It can be a strenuous hike but has a rewarding view once you arrive.  I camped right at the top of the falls (only about a tenth of a mile from where Anna and I camped during our only practice overnight before the thru-hike).  It rained on me almost the entire time with the exception of the last couple hours as I hiked back to my car.  Very appropriate, I believe.

The rain reminds me of what I have.  Even on a short excursion like this, I was looking forward to a hot meal and shower when I returned home.

I want more constant reminders of how good I really have it.  I think going into the woods helps put things in a bit of perspective.  That's something I could really take away from thru-hiking the AT.  When you have less, you appreciate more.

If it is always sunny, how will we grow?



4 comments:

  1. Love it.....not sure how you get the shots you do! You are good! Good luck with your new job!
    "T"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching you walk through that frigid water and then sit to put your socks and boots back on....that must have felt so good to get them back on. Warm again! I loved the blog and the video. This Auntie thinks you are the best! Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great video, once again, Micah! Thanks for filming your walk in the woods.

    ReplyDelete