Monday, February 25, 2013

Longing

Five days until we begin our thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

That's what we were saying at this time last year.  Five more days to wind things down and make some final preparations before setting forth.

I cannot believe it has already been one year since we began that journey.  The feelings I have now are surreal and reminiscent.  I was speaking with Anna about it the other day (as we do most days), and the best way I could describe my emotions was to compare the Trail to a loved one.  Being away, either physically or emotionally, from someone you love.  You long to be with that person again.  To hold them.  Kiss them.  Talk with them.  Be with them.

My intent is not to be an emo over here.  Life is still wonderful, and there is so much that I am currently thankful and happy for.  So much!

That being said, I am eternally grateful for our time on the Appalachian Trail.  There is nothing in my life that has compared to those memories, and since we are coming up on our one year "setting forth" anniversary, I wanted to give you kind people a fair warning:

Brace yourselves.

WalkOutside posts are coming.

Probably daily.

My desire is to share a piece of my personal AT journal for each day we were on the Trail.  Not everything.  Maybe just a sentence or two.  I invite you all to read it and follow along as you did with us on the Trail, but I do not expect anything from you.  I will not be hurt if you don't read or don't comment or don't care.  Because this, in a lot of ways, is for me.

I can feel the tears welling up in my eyes as I type this even now.

I believe it's important and beneficial to look back on our lives and see where we've come from and what we've accomplished.  To remember and reinspire.

I'm looking forward to reopening that mud-stained moleskine journal and revisiting Appalachia once again.
 
Near Woody Gap, GA


 

6 comments:

  1. Micah, Bruce & I have also been reliving those moments of the "approach" to your start date of the Appalachian thru-hike - from our perspective. We are still overwhelmed by you and Anna and the journey of heart, mind, body, and soul you took from Springer Mountain to Mt. Katahdin. I can't wait to read every word to learn more of your adventure. You and Anna inspire me. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring it on, Micah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will enjoy reading your memories just as I did keeping track of where you were on the trail last year. You and Anna are my heroes of the great outdoors. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey. ho... this is MamaBear...and I just wanna say... ManCub... I love the heart that Abba created in you... I look forward to every word, sentence, and heart felt emotion from your AT journal... Dad and I are right there with Glenda and Bruce reliving those moments of the approach to your start and then to your finish of the epic journey that you and KitFox took on the AT. We are so proud of you and we look forward to the BOOK that you and Anna will write some day. Love you forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Micah,

    Just found your blog, via one of your Youtube vids, so you don't know me. Thirty-four years ago, I spent 23 day backpacking in the Rockies with Outward Bound. I was 16. It changed my life. The wilderness became "the" source of my personal power and inspiration.

    Now, thirty-four years later, I find that life has derailed most of what I wanted to do, including the AT. My wife and kids, the house, business have been all consuming. So, now, here I am at 50, able to get out for day hikes occasionally, wanting to do a long thru-hike, but still unable due to coming college tuition and with a body that is beginning to conspire against that dream. But, still not giving it up.

    So, be happy in what you have done. And find ways to share the emotions you feel with others, as much and as often as you can. You will make a powerful and inspiring ambassador for the wilderness, the trail and the outdoors. Volunteer with an organization that serves those that may not have the ability to get into the woods. (I work with a teen group at a cancer support center.)

    The Wilderness has a powerful healing quality, you are already helping others experience it. Keep going; and thank you. Your blog and videos have become part of my inspiration.

    "And... don't lose heart."

    ReplyDelete