Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Full Moon Forest

The sun sets over the Grand Mesa National Forest.
Blazing fire clouds of bright orange and red.
The snow capped mountains in silhouette.

I climb into my tent and immediately slip deep into the sleeping bag.
The air is cold and biting my skin.
I can see a few lone stars through the cloudy sky.

The full moon is rising.

When it appears over the horizon, it is like the sun.
Bright and shining.
Lighting up the entire forest surrounding me.

It's a beautiful sight, and I'm thankful the clouds don't open up and pour out their snow, sleet or rain.

Life in the forest is quiet and still.
Just the wind blows, bringing the leaves of the trees to life with each gust.

The sound of flowing water murmurs in the distance.
A mountain stream thriving on melted snow from far above.

I close my eyes and hibernate until morning.


2 comments:

  1. Micah...

    Of course, I've been experiencing the same full moon here on the north Oregon coast. With mostly clear nights recently, the moon light is intense.

    Such light I believe brings out the local elk herd even more aggressively to feed outside my bedroom window on my apples. I don't much care for this as they are destructive to the fruit trees. It puzzles me that you run into what we consider domestic livestock, cattle, in the wilderness of UT and I have wild elk in my yard inside the city limits.

    Such is, the way it is.

    ReplyDelete