Friday, November 11, 2011

Windows



Other than being there in the middle of the night, this was the only time I have ever seen the Windows parking lot completely empty.

Walking up and down the trails completely by myself in a place that is usually one of the busiest sections of the park was pretty remarkable.

Almost magical, in fact.

It really is a beautiful area, but I think a lot of the time it is loved too much.  So many tourists stroll up to that North Window so they can get a photo of themselves underneath an arch, and then they're on their way again (most likely to Devils Garden or Delicate Arch).

But as I walked quietly by myself today, I noticed things I don't usually see when it's busy or when I'm leading a guided walk.

I began the primitive loop going behind the South and North Windows, and I stopped every couple minutes and strained my ears and eyes.  During one of these stops, I suddenly found myself in the midst of a staring contest with a mule deer.

We both stood perfectly still.

Then it lowered its head and began to drink from one of the pot holes.

I took a few steps to try and change my vantage point, and at that moment a buck with large antlers came bounding up from out of sight.  With his signal, four more deer appeared seemingly out of nowhere and the herd was bounding off together over the ridge and out of sight.

Even on a day when I was the only other hiker on the trail, I would have missed them entirely had I not stopped every so often and looked around.

I think we often go outside and go hiking and go biking and go running and can even be extremely active outdoors, but sometimes we forget to just go and be still.

“Be still, and know that I am God;
   I will be exalted among the nations,
   I will be exalted in the earth.” 


~ Pslam 46:10 ~

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Micah. To be still is one of the most challenging endeavors of humanity, and yet it yields rewards untold. I was just able to breathe deeply and peacefully as a result of reading this glimpse of your stillness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Micah... This entry is so beautiful and has brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy that you were able to experience Windows in peace and solitude. I am still praying for a miracle that you see the "mythical beast" before you leave Moab. In the mean time... your stare down with the mule deer was also a gift from your Creator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... Micah, this is so amazing. Thank you for such a powerful reminder to be still.

    ReplyDelete